Mechanics: 1-Dimensional Kinematics
1-D Kinematics: Audio Guided Solution
In the Funny Car competition at the Joliet Speedway in Joliet, Illinois in October of 2004, John Force complete the Â¼-mile dragster race in a record time of 4.437 seconds. Determine the average speed of the dragster in mi/hr and m/s. GIVEN: (1.000 mi =1609 m)
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
202.8 mi/hr or 90.66 m/s
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vo = 0 m/s; a = 4.2 m/s/s; vf = 22.9 m/s; d = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Kinematics at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview