Mechanics: 1-Dimensional Kinematics
1-D Kinematics: Audio Guided Solution
According to Guinness, the tallest man to have ever lived was Robert Pershing Wadlow of Alton, Illinois. He was last measured in 1940 to be 2.72 meters tall (8 feet, 11 inches). Determine the speed which a quarter would have reached before contact with the ground if dropped from rest from the top of his head.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vo = 0 m/s; a = 4.2 m/s/s; vf = 22.9 m/s; d = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Kinematics at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview