Mechanics: 1-Dimensional Kinematics
1-D Kinematics: Audio Guided Solution
It's breakfast time and Mr. H entertains himself once more by watching the daily beetle race across the 35.7-cm length of the Wheaties box top. Angie the beetle typically averages 3.77 mm/s and Bessie the beetle averages 4.78 mm/s. If Bessie gives Angie a 5.4 cm head start, then which beetle wins and by what distance?
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
Bessie wins by 2.1 cm
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vo = 0 m/s; a = 4.2 m/s/s; vf = 22.9 m/s; d = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Kinematics at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview