Mechanics: Circular Motion and Gravitation
Circular Motion and Gravitation: Audio Guided Solution
Alexis is in her Toyota Camry and trying to make a turn off an expressway at 19.0 m/s. The turning radius of the level curve is 35.0 m. Her car has a mass of 1240 kg. Determine the acceleration, net force and minimum value of the coefficient of friction which is required to keep the car on the road.
Audio Guided Solution
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 61.7 kg, v= 18.5 m/s, R = 30.9 m, Fnorm = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Circular Motion and Gravitation at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview