Mechanics: Circular Motion and Gravitation
Circular Motion and Gravitation: Audio Guided Solution
Tyrone and Mia have masses of 84 kg and 59 kg respectively. They sit 1.0 m apart in the front center of Mr. H's Physics class. For some time, they each have been sensing a sort of electricity in their growing relationship. And now, six units into their Physics course, they have learned that they are gravitationally attracted to each other. Determine the magnitude of this force of gravitational attraction.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
3.3 x 10-7 N
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 61.7 kg, v= 18.5 m/s, R = 30.9 m, Fnorm = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Circular Motion and Gravitation at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview