Mechanics: Circular Motion and Gravitation
Circular Motion and Gravitation: Audio Guided Solution
Determine the force of gravitational attraction between the Earth and the sun. Their masses are 5.98 x 1024
kg and 1.99 x 1030
kg, respectively. The average distance separating the Earth and the sun is 1.50 x 1011
m. Determine the force of gravitational attraction between the Earth and the sun.
Audio Guided Solution
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 61.7 kg, v= 18.5 m/s, R = 30.9 m, Fnorm = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Circular Motion and Gravitation at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview
View Audio Guided Solution for Problem: