Mechanics: Circular Motion and Gravitation
Circular Motion and Gravitation: Audio Guided Solution
During the spin cycle of a washing machine, the clothes stick to the outer wall of the barrel as it spins at a rate as high as 1800 revolutions per minute. The radius of the barrel is 26 cm.
a. Determine the speed of the clothes (in m/s) which are located on the wall of the spin barrel.
b. Determine the acceleration of the clothes.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
b. 9.2 x 103 m/s/s
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 61.7 kg, v= 18.5 m/s, R = 30.9 m, Fnorm = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Circular Motion and Gravitation at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview