Mechanics: Circular Motion and Gravitation
Circular Motion and Gravitation: Audio Guided Solution
Dominic is the star discus thrower on South's varsity track and field team. In last year's regional competition, Dominic whirled the 1.6 kg discus in a circle with a radius of 1.1 m, ultimately reaching a speed of 52 m/s before launch. Determine the net force acting upon the discus in the moments before launch.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
3.9 x 103 N
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 61.7 kg, v= 18.5 m/s, R = 30.9 m, Fnorm = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Circular Motion and Gravitation at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview