Electricity: Electric Circuits
Electric Circuits: Audio Guided Solution
The parallel circuit at the right depicts three resistors connected to a voltage source. The voltage source (ΔVtot) is a 110.-V source and the resistor values are 15.4 Ω (R1), 21.9 Ω (R2) and 11.7 Ω (R3).
a. Determine the equivalent resistance of the circuit.
b. Determine the current in each branch resistor.
c. Determine the total current in the circuit.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
b. I1 = 7.14 A, I2 = 5.02 A and I3 = 9.40 A
c. 21.57 A
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities and record them in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., ΔV = 9.0 V; R = 0.025 Ω; I = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Electric Circuits at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview