Mechanics: Work, Energy and Power
Work, Energy and Power: Audio Guided Solution
Renatta Gass is out with her friends. Misfortune occurs and Renatta and her friends find themselves getting a workout. They apply a cumulative force of 1080 N to push the car 218 m to the nearest fuel station. Determine the work done on the car.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
2.35 x 105 J
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vo = 0 m/s; a = 4.2 m/s/s; vf = 22.9 m/s; d = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Work, Energy and Power at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview