Electricity: Static Electricity
Static Electricity: Audio Guided Solution
Two bowling balls with a mass of 7.25 kg are positioned in a vertical cylinder such that they fit one above the other. What quantity of charge must the two bowling balls have such that the electrical force of repulsion causes the top ball to levitate above the bottom ball such that their nearest surfaces are distanced 25 cm apart? The diameter of a bowling ball is 21.8 cm. Assume the bowling balls have an identical charge.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
4.16x10-5 C or 41.6 μC
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities; record them in an organized manner. A diagram is a great place to record such information. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., Q1 = 2.4 μC; Q2 = 3.8 μC; d = 1.8 m; Felect = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Static Electricity at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview