Electricity: Static Electricity
Static Electricity: Audio Guided Solution
Determine the strength of the net electric field at a location midway between two point charges. The charges are Q1 = +8.32x10-9 C and Q2 = +6.04x10-9 C. The separation distance is 24.6 cm. Suggestion: construct a diagram of the arrangement of two charges and compute each individual electric field; then sum to determine the net electric field.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
1.35x103 N/C, towards Q2
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities; record them in an organized manner. A diagram is a great place to record such information. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., Q1 = 2.4 μC; Q2 = 3.8 μC; d = 1.8 m; Felect = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Static Electricity at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview