Waves, Sound and Light: Light Waves
Light Waves: Audio Guided Solution
Two narrow slits in a slide are separated by a distance of 45.0 micrometers. Light from a green laser (λ = 532 nm) is passed through the slits and the interference pattern is projected onto a screen 9.85 m away. Determine the distance between the central bright spot and the fourth bright spot. (GIVEN: 1 m = 106 mm)
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
0.466 m or 46.6 cm
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities and record in an organized manner, often times they can be recorded on the diagram itself. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity (e.g., v = 3.00x108 m/s, λ = 554 nm, f = ???).
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Light Waves at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview