Mechanics: Momentum and Collisions
Momentum and Collisions: Audio Guided Solution
A 70.9-kg boy and a 43.2-kg girl, both wearing skates face each other at rest on a skating rink. The boy pushes the girl, sending her eastward with a speed of 4.64 m/s. Neglecting friction, determine the subsequent velocity of the boy.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
2.83 m/s, West
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 1.50 kg, vi = 2.68 m/s, F = 4.98 N, t = 0.133 s, vf = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Momentum and Collisions at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview