Mechanics: Momentum and Collisions
Momentum and Collisions: Audio Guided Solution
In a goal line stand against New Greer Academy, South's linebackers Jerome (m=102 kg) and Michael (m=98 kg) meet the 84-kg halfback moving southward through the air at 6.4 m/s. Upon contact, Jerome and Michael are both moving at 3.6 m/s in the exact opposite direction. Determine the post-collision speed and direction of the collection of three players. Assume they move together after the collision.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
0.64 m/s, North
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 1.50 kg, vi = 2.68 m/s, F = 4.98 N, t = 0.133 s, vf = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Momentum and Collisions at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview