Mechanics: Momentum and Collisions
Momentum and Collisions: Audio Guided Solution
Rex (m=86 kg) and Tex (92 kg) board the bumper cars at the local carnival. Rex is moving at a full speed of 2.05 m/s when he rear-ends Tex who is at rest in his path. Tex and his 125-kg car lunge forward at 1.40 m/s. Determine the post-collision speed of Rex and his 125-kg car.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 1.50 kg, vi = 2.68 m/s, F = 4.98 N, t = 0.133 s, vf = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Momentum and Collisions at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview