Mechanics: Momentum and Collisions
Momentum and Collisions: Audio Guided Solution
Polly Ester and Ray Ahn are doing the Elastic Collision lab on a low-friction track. Cart A has a mass of 1.00 kg and is moving rightward at 27.6 cm/s prior to the collision with Cart B. Cart B has a mass of 0.50 kg and is moving leftward with a speed of 42.9 cm/s. After the magnetic repulsion of the two carts, Cart A is moving leftward at 10.1 cm/s. Determine the post-collision speed and direction of cart B.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
32.5 cm/s, Right
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 1.50 kg, vi = 2.68 m/s, F = 4.98 N, t = 0.133 s, vf = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Momentum and Collisions at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview