Mechanics: Newton's Laws of Motion
Newton's Laws of Motion: Audio Guided Solution
Anna Litical and Noah Formula are experimenting with the effect of mass and net force upon the acceleration of a lab cart. They determine that a net force of F causes a cart with a mass of M to accelerate at 48 cm/s/s. What is the acceleration value of a cart with …
a. a mass of M when acted upon by a net force of 2F?
b. a mass of 2M when acted upon by a net force of F?
c. a mass of 2M when acted upon by a net force of 2F?
d. a mass of 4M when acted upon by a net force of 2F?
e. a mass of 2M when acted upon by a net force of 4F?
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
b. 24 cm/s/s
c. 48 cm/s/s
d. 24 cm/s/s
e. 96 cm/s/s
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vo = 0 m/s; a = 4.2 m/s/s; vf = 22.9 m/s; d = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Newton's Laws of Motion at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview