Mechanics: Newton's Laws of Motion
Newton's Laws of Motion: Audio Guided Solution
While skydiving, Dee Selerate opens her parachute and her 53.4-kg body immediately accelerates upward for an instant at 8.66 m/s/s. Determine the upward force experienced by Dee during this instant.
Audio Guided Solution
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vo = 0 m/s; a = 4.2 m/s/s; vf = 22.9 m/s; d = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Newton's Laws of Motion at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview