Ray Optics: Reflection and Mirrors
Reflection and Mirrors: Audio Guided Solution
A large spherical mirror sculpture is constructed in the town square at Physicston, Illinois. The sculpture consists of a large sphere with a diameter of 24 meters which is coated with a reflecting material. A 1.8 meter tall photographer stands a distance of 38 m from the concave side of the sculpture and takes a picture. Determine the image distance and the magnification of the photographer.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
di = 7.1 m
Mag = -0.19
Mag = -0.19
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., do = 24.2 cm; di= 16.8 cm; f = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Reflection and Mirrors at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview