Ray Optics: Refraction and Lenses
Refraction and Lenses: Audio Guided Solution
Jill organizes a surprise 16th birthday party for her boyfriend Jack down at Bianchi's Pizza Parlor. In an effort to capture the nostalgic moment on film, Jill squeezes all of Jack's friends together on one side of the table. The 51.4 mm camera lens focuses the image of all objects onto a film negative which is 35.8 mm wide. If Jack and friends are located 4.62 m from the camera lens, to what maximum distance must they squeeze together in order to completely fit in the developed picture?
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
3.18 m (3180 mm)
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities and record them in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., do = 24,8 cm; di = 16.7 cm; f = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Refraction and Lenses at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview