Ray Optics: Refraction and Lenses
Refraction and Lenses: Audio Guided Solution
The diagram at the right shows a ray of light traveling through air towards a thin layer of linseed oil (n = 1.50) resting on top of water (n=1.33). The light ray approaches the linseed oil at an angle of incidence of 48.2°.
a. Determine the angle of refraction at the air-linseed oil boundary.
b. Determine the angle of refraction at the linseed oil-water boundary.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities and record them in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., do = 24,8 cm; di = 16.7 cm; f = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Refraction and Lenses at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview