Waves, Sound and Light: Sound and Music
Sound and Music: Audio Guided Solution
Mama G used to be the leader of South's Pep Club. As she started in on a round of Wash Them Down the River, her voice would ring out at an attention-drawing 855 Hz. Assuming a speed of sound in the Titan Dome of 355 m/s, determine the wavelength of the sound waves produced by Mama G.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
0.415 m or 41.5 cm
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities and record in an organized manner, often times they can be recorded on the diagram itself. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity (e.g., v = 345 m/s, λ = 1.28 m, f = ???).
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Sound and Music at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview