Mechanics: Vectors and Forces in Two-Dimensions
Vectors and Forces in 2-D: Audio Guided Solution
At one moment during a walk around the block, there are four forces exerted upon Fido - a 10.0 kg dog. The forces are:
Fapp = 67.0 N at 30.0° above the horizontal (rightward and upward)
Fnorm = 64.5 N, up
Ffrict = 27.6 N, left
Fgrav = 98 N, down
Resolve the applied force (Fapp) into horizontal and vertical components, then add the forces up as vectors to determine the net force.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
Fapp-vertical: 33.5 N, up
Fnet: 30.4 N, right
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 1.25 kg, µ = 0.459, vo = 0.0 m/s, Ø = 41.6º, vf = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Vectors and Forces in Two-Dimensions at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview