Mechanics: Vectors and Forces in Two-Dimensions
Vectors and Forces in 2-D: Audio Guided Solution
Jerome and Michael, linebackers for South’s varsity football team, delivered a big hit to the halfback in last weekend’s game. Striking the halfback simultaneously from different directions with the following forces:
FJerome = 1230 N at 53°
FMichael = 1450 at 107°
Determine the resultant force applied by Jerome and Michael to the halfback. (The directions of the two forces are stated as counter-clockwise angles of rotation with East.)
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 1.25 kg, µ = 0.459, vo = 0.0 m/s, Ø = 41.6º, vf = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Vectors and Forces in Two-Dimensions at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview