Waves, Sound and Light: Wave Basics
Wave Basics: Audio Guided Solution
Jerome and Claire are doing the Period of a Pendulum Lab. They observe that a pendulum makes exactly 10 complete back and forth cycles of motion in 21.8 seconds. Determine the period of the pendulum.
Audio Guided Solution
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities and record in an organized manner, often times they can be recorded on the diagram itself. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity (e.g., v = 12.8 m/s, λ = 4.52 m, f = ???).
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Waves at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview