Waves, Sound and Light: Wave Basics
Wave Basics: Audio Guided Solution
A standing wave is established in a snakey as shown in the diagram at the right. The distance from point A to point B is known to be 4.69 meters. When not being vibrated as a standing wave, a single pulse introduced into the medium at point A will travel to the opposite end and back in 2.70 seconds. Determine the vibrational frequency of the wave pattern.
Audio Guided Solution
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities and record in an organized manner, often times they can be recorded on the diagram itself. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity (e.g., v = 12.8 m/s, λ = 4.52 m, f = ???).
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Waves at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview