Mechanics: 1-Dimensional Kinematics
1-D Kinematics: Audio Guided Solution
Jeremy has recently taken up snowboarding as a hobby. He is practicing making smooth turns while traveling up sloped inclines. The velocity-time graph below depicts his motion traveling up an embankment and part-way down. Use the graph to answer the following questions.
a. Determine Jeremy's acceleration at 8.0 seconds.
b. Determine the distance Jeremy traveled from 0.0 to 5.0 seconds.
c. At what time did Jeremy begin to travel back down the embankment?
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
b. 60.0 m
c. 11.0 s
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vo = 0 m/s; a = 4.2 m/s/s; vf = 22.9 m/s; d = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Kinematics at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
- Meaning of Slope for a v-t Graph
- Determining the Slope on a v-t Graph
- Determining the Area on a v-t Graph
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview