Mechanics: Circular Motion and Gravitation
Circular Motion and Gravitation: Audio Guided Solution
A manufacturer of CD-ROM drives claims that the player can spin the disc as frequently as 1200 revolutions per minute.
a. If spinning at this rate, what is the speed of the outer row of data on the disc; this row is located 5.6 cm from the center of the disc?
b. What is the acceleration of the outer row of data?
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
b. 8.8 x 104 cm/s/s or 8.8 x 102 m/s/s
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 61.7 kg, v= 18.5 m/s, R = 30.9 m, Fnorm = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Circular Motion and Gravitation at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview