Electricity: Electric Circuits
Electric Circuits: Audio Guided Solution
A 4.5-volt series circuit consists of two resistors. Resistor A has three times the resistance as resistor B. An ammeter records a current of 160 mA of current. Determine the resistance values of resistors A and B.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
RA = 21.1 Ω
RB = 7.0 Ω
RB = 7.0 Ω
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities and record them in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., ΔV = 9.0 V; R = 0.025 Ω; I = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Electric Circuits at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview