Mechanics: Work, Energy and Power
Work, Energy and Power: Audio Guided Solution
Lamar Gant, U.S. powerlifting star, became the first man to deadlift five times his own body weight in 1985. Deadlifting involves raising a loaded barbell from the floor to a position above the head with outstretched arms. Determine the work done by Lamar in deadlifting 300 kg to a height of 0.90 m above the ground.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
2.6 x 103 J
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vo = 0 m/s; a = 4.2 m/s/s; vf = 22.9 m/s; d = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Work, Energy and Power at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview