Mechanics: Newton's Laws of Motion
Newton's Laws of Motion: Audio Guided Solution
Moments after making the dreaded decision to jump out the door of the airplane, Darin's 82.5-kg body experiences 118 N of air resistance. Determine Darin's acceleration at this instant in time. HINT: begin by drawing a free body diagram and determine the net force.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
8.37 m/s/s, down
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vo = 0 m/s; a = 4.2 m/s/s; vf = 22.9 m/s; d = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Newton's Laws of Motion at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview