Mechanics: Vectors and Forces in Two-Dimensions
Vectors and Forces in 2-D: Audio Guided Solution
The historic Stanley Center for the Arts in Utica, New York is the proud owner of the world’s largest LED chandelier. The chandelier is 35 feet wide, 17 feet tall and has a mass of 2900 kg. It is directly supported by four cables which make an angle of 63° with the horizontal. Determine the tension in the cables.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
8.0 x 103 N (rounded from 7974 N)
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., m = 1.25 kg, µ = 0.459, vo = 0.0 m/s, Ø = 41.6º, vf = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Vectors and Forces in Two-Dimensions at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview