Mechanics: Vectors and Projectiles
Vectors and Projectiles: Audio Guided Solution
The pilot of a plane flying due north is notified by the flight controller that there is a second plane flying south at about the same altitude and located in the same general area. The pilot is told that the southward bound plane is currently located at a position which is 13.5 km, 102° from her own plane.
a. How many miles to the north is the second plane?
b. How many miles to the west is the second plane?
c. If the two planes both have an airspeed of 290. km/hr, then how much time will elapse before the planes are side by side?
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
b. 2.8 km
c. 0.0228 hr (1.37 min)
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vox = 12.4 m/s, voy = 0.0 m/s, dx = 32.7 m, dy = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Vectors and Projectiles at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview