Mechanics: Vectors and Projectiles
Vectors and Projectiles: Audio Guided Solution
Avery, South's quarterback, throws a pass 36.5 yards at 21° W of S before it is caught by Mitchell with a diving catch. Assuming that the field runs north and south, and that Avery threw the pass from 7.2 yards behind the line of scrimmage, how many yards were gained on the play?
Audio Guided Solution
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vox = 12.4 m/s, voy = 0.0 m/s, dx = 32.7 m, dy = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Vectors and Projectiles at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview