Mechanics: Vectors and Projectiles
Vectors and Projectiles: Audio Guided Solution
Dora is exploring a cave. She starts at the entrance and makes the following straight line movements:
68 m, south
112 m, 25° north of west (155° CCW)
34 m, south
182 m, 17° south of east (343° CCW)
Determine Dora's position relative to the entrance of the cave. That is, how far and in what direction is Dora from the cave entrance?
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vox = 12.4 m/s, voy = 0.0 m/s, dx = 32.7 m, dy = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Vectors and Projectiles at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview