Mechanics: Vectors and Projectiles
Vectors and Projectiles: Audio Guided Solution
An airplane begins its journey into Canada from a destination located 285 mi south of the border. The plane flies along a straight-line path at 189 mi/h in a direction of 20.5 degrees west of north. Determine the number of minutes before the plane crosses the border. Assume that the border is aligned directly east and west in the region where the flight takes place.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vox = 12.4 m/s, voy = 0.0 m/s, dx = 32.7 m, dy = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Vectors and Projectiles at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
Return to Overview