Mechanics: Vectors and Projectiles
Vectors and Projectiles: Audio Guided Solution
Ima Peode wishes to throw a 2.8-kg pumpkin horizontally off the top of the school roof in order to hit Mr. H's car. The car is parked a distance of 13.4 m away from the base of the building below the point where Ima is standing. The building's roof is 10.4 m high. Assuming no air resistance, with what horizontal speed must Ima toss the pumpkin in order to hit Mr. H's car.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vox = 12.4 m/s, voy = 0.0 m/s, dx = 32.7 m, dy = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Vectors and Projectiles at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
- What is a Projectile?
- Characteristics of a Projectile's Trajectory
- Horizontal and Vertical Displacement
- Horizontally Launched Projectiles Problems
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview