Mechanics: Vectors and Projectiles
Vectors and Projectiles: Audio Guided Solution
In an apparent effort to earn an appearance on the Destroyed in Seconds show, Caleb attempts a bicycle maneuver in which he jumps between two ramps whose elevated edges are located a distance of 1.8 meters apart. The ramps are angled at 35° and located at the same height. Determine the speed (in m/s and mi/hr) that Caleb must acquire to accomplish this stunt. (Given: 1.00 m/s = 2.24 mi/hr)
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
4.3 m/s or 9.7 mi/hr
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vox = 12.4 m/s, voy = 0.0 m/s, dx = 32.7 m, dy = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Vectors and Projectiles at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
- What is a Projectile?
- Characteristics of a Projectile's Trajectory
- Horizontal and Vertical Velocity Components
- Horizontal and Vertical Displacement
- Calculating Initial Velocity Components
- Non-Horizontally Launched Projectiles Problems
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview