Mechanics: Vectors and Projectiles
Vectors and Projectiles: Audio Guided Solution
Albert is South’s star punter for the varsity football team. His best hang time this past season was for a punt which he kicked at 74° above the horizontal. The punt had a 6.2 second hang time.
a. Determine the speed at which the ball was punted.
b. Determine the horizontal distance which the ball traveled.
Audio Guided Solution
Click to show or hide the answer!
b. 54.0 m
Habits of an Effective Problem Solver
- Read the problem carefully and develop a mental picture of the physical situation. If necessary, sketch a simple diagram of the physical situation to help you visualize it.
- Identify the known and unknown quantities in an organized manner. Equate given values to the symbols used to represent the corresponding quantity - e.g., vox = 12.4 m/s, voy = 0.0 m/s, dx = 32.7 m, dy = ???.
- Use physics formulas and conceptual reasoning to plot a strategy for solving for the unknown quantity.
- Identify the appropriate formula(s) to use.
- Perform substitutions and algebraic manipulations in order to solve for the unknown quantity.
Read About It!
Get more information on the topic of Vectors and Projectiles at The Physics Classroom Tutorial.
- What is a Projectile?
- Characteristics of a Projectile's Trajectory
- Horizontal and Vertical Velocity Components
- Horizontal and Vertical Displacement
- Calculating Initial Velocity Components
- Non-Horizontally Launched Projectiles Problems
Return to Problem Set
Return to Overview